Vang Vieng

By Sunday, July 13, 2014 ,



The last time I was in Vang Vieng was some 4 years ago. At this time most bars were selling opium, mushroom, weed and buckets of cheap local alcohol. I remember many people either partying loud or simply unconscious, sleeping at the side of the street. I can happily report that this wasn't our experience this time around.
A crazy but friendly wee girl who loved to follow us around

We visited in low season which may of course may account for the calmer atmosphere. The drug scene I experienced on my last visit, thankfully wasn't as prominent. This doesn't mean it wasn't there though.

The scenery in Vang Vieng is simply breathtaking, we had booked a hotel a short 10 minute walk away from the main party area of bars and restaurants. We had a private balcony over-looking the river and mountains, costing us a total of $15 per night. We had booked a total of 4 nights, enough to prepare and partake in a healing journey, something I consider to be very special for human beings, Psilocybin mushrooms.




For many years I have participated in the use of hallucinogenic plants. I have spent time in remote jungles with indigenous cultures, studying and understanding the use of these plant medicines.

Just to be clear, this is not something to be taken likely, these plant medicines deserve the utmost of respect. Anyone participating in such a journey should understand fully the implications, prepare their mind and body and be under experienced supervision. At a later date I will provide a more detailed post on the use of medicinal plants and my thoughts surrounding them.

The journey we were granted this time was beautiful and healing in a very personal way.  




Although we planned to stay 4 nights we only stayed for 2. Bruna (Blu) had been having a little tooth ache since China. We had experienced everything we wanted to Vang Vieng, so decided it was better to head to Vientiane to get this the dental issues sorted while at the same time arranging our visas for Cambodia.


There is an old saying "Let sleeping dogs lie", something I had forgotten. While arranging our bus to Vientiane, I inadvertently woke a sleeping dog who responded by biting my finger. Nothing too serious, however I would need a rabies booster shot. If you are traveling and get bitten by an animal it is imperative you immediately wash any saliva out of the wound with soapy water, followed by some form of disinfectant. (Before anyone asks, I'm sure the dog already had his shots against me).

If this wasn't a good enough sign to leave, then Blu decided to stab herself in the leg while cutting a cheese croissant sandwich. With our dog bite, stab wound and tooth ache, we boarded our bus and headed on our 4 hour journey to Vientiane to be patched-up.

Rock chick, ready to leave Vang Vieng

You Might Also Like

0 comments